The differences are implemented in Application.configure(), so check
there for how deployment and development mode differ. I am not aware of
any differences in how Wicket handles the component hierarchy. The
hierarchy in your java-implementation either is or is not consistent
with the hierarchy in your template files. Wicket doesn't do anything to
fix or ignore hierarchy issues.