Thanks Guillaume,

You're right - I don't. I suspected that might be the issue, but hoped
there's a way around it. Shall I send someone the list of pages that needs
to be saved with programming rights? Or is there a way I can programming
obtain rights for myself?
Also, I think there may be another issue - the code that sets privileges on
the pages is common to several sections, so I refactored it into a script
page I include in the classSheets for various classes:
http://patternlanguagenetwork.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/scripts/DesObjClassSheet
I'm worried that the macros on this page are not evaluated when a new page /
object is created.

I have a feeling that the right way to go about this is by adding some
helper classes in Java, rather than hacking it in Velocity. But again, I do
not have the privileges to do that. If other people find this issue
relevant, I'm happy to contribute my time towards a generic, stable
solution.

A reminder: the core of the problem is that I want to allow users to create
objects (and respective pages) in a space, and to have ownership over those
objects / pages, but without giving them overall edit rights on the space.

 Yishay Mor, Researcher, London Knowledge Lab
  http://www.lkl.ac.uk/people/mor.html
  http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=yishaym%40gmail.com
  +44-20-78378888 x5737