Is there a "right" way to make a LiveTable refresh?

I have a page that includes a LiveTable to show the results of a query on an
external database, and a form triggers an AJAX call to modify the database
(e.g., insert a new row). I'd like the AJAX call to include an action within
OnSuccess to make the LiveTable refresh to show these modifications.

http://xwiki.475771.n2.nabble.com/Proposal-Hightlight-applied-filters-in-livetable-tp4936097p4942165.html
and
http://jira.xwiki.org/browse/XWIKI-5100
appear to discuss something of this kind, but I couldn't find any instructions.
The closest thing was a line in livetable.js
https://github.com/xwiki/xwiki-platform/blob/4f92c9fc4dc9d4bb7b42a54f3e289f42e833d986/xwiki-platform-core/xwiki-platform-web/src/main/webapp/resources/js/xwiki/table/livetable.js#L963
where it looks like a refresh is triggered on event
"xwiki:livetable:mylivetable:filtersChanged". I have tried calling
document.fire('xwiki:livetable:mylivetable:filtersChanged');
from within a javascript function, but this did not appear to make the
"mylivetable" LiveTable update. Could anyone direct me further?

Thanks,

Bryn