From: Patrick Moore <pmo...@asnt.org>
To: U.S. Metric Association <usma@colostate.edu>
Sent: Mon, January 17, 2011 8:38:09 AM
Subject: [USMA:49540] Re: Screen size conundrum

NIST SP330 (2008) Sec 5.2 goes on to say: “However, in the case of area or
volume, as an alternative the modifiers ‘square’ or ‘cubic’ may be used, and
these modifiers are placed before the unit name, but this applies only in
English.” BIPM (2006) says the same thing. This is a concession to the
language’s descriptions of area, in which two meters squared means 2 x 2....

ASTM/IEEE SI 10 (2002) also uses the phrase “square meter” in its conversion
table. None of these three documents uses “meter squared” anywhere. They are of
course concerned with unit symbols and are not usage guides. The meaning of
“two
meters squared,” as of “two inches squared” and “two feet squared,” is a
feature
of the language and not a committee charge.

Semanticists, however, do not consult standards to see how the language works.
Instead, they observe how native speakers use it.

Suppose a fabric store that sells fabric by the meter. If one orders two meters
squared of cloth, the purchaser could be given and charged for four square
meters, unless first the salesperson or purchaser clarified a different meaning.

Consider also a nonrectilinear area. A child’s circular wading pool might be
one
square meter in area. But because it is circular, a department store selling it
would not call it “one meter squared.”

To repeat, the meaning is a feature of the language and not something that can
be changed by a usage document (and BIPM is not that).

= = = =