To: "Eugene C. Braig IV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 7:12 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: 4c music... is there any?!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Eugene C. Braig IV" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Monica Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 1:00 PM

| At 12:45 PM 4/8/2008, Monica Hall wrote:
| >Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: 4c music... is there any?!
| >>Check out this little page from Appalachian State University
(Dr. Douglas
| >>James' program):
| >><http://www.library.appstate.edu/music/lute/gtrlst.html>
| >
| >Which is a bit inaccurate.  The music in Barberiis is not for
a 7-course
| >guitar, but for a 4-course instrument (7 strings - 3 courses
doubled, the
| >1st single).  It is probably not for guitar either - but
that's another story.

| "7-course"!?  That must be a typo.
|

| >Amat's book was first printed in 1596 and is for 5-course
guitar.   It
| >doesn't  include any music apart from a few musical examples..
|
| The Appalachian State University page isn't specifically for
sources of
| 4-course guitar music, but sources of guitar music printed in
the 16th
| c.  Not 4-course, but the first appearance of Amat's book
certainly is
| appropriate to that condition, even if the date they give it is
also
| subject to typographic error.
|
| Best,
| Eugene
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo|
It's especially important to check information when it seems
improbable.  Indeed the mistake is copied from Howard's
bibliography, and he doesn't usually make such mistakes.  I see
the guy in New Grove gets it correct, when he smooths over
Brown's error<g> by writing, "The last
book (1549) includes . . . four short pieces for seven-string
(four course) guitar. The latter pieces, euphemistically called
'fantasias', are notable for their popular character; one uses
the _bergamasca_ and another employs a drone bass."

If not for guitar, what instrument is intended? It is the
earliest printed source for guitar music, as far as I know.
=====AJN (Boston, Mass.)=====
Free Download of the Week

This week's free download from
Classical Music Library is