2008/9/24 Stuart Walsh [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   What Gordon is doing is a bit puzzling and I thought it was worth
   talking about. What's your problem with that?

   Nothing. What do you want to discuss?

   Rob

The preluding bit. Gordon's video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/bananamunga

There is about 50 seconds of preluding or toccata-ing before th epiece. Is Gordon strumming each successive chord of the ground? Anyway: each solitary strummed chord is followed by (given the recording set-up?) almost inaudible very fast scale passages played as ligados.

Rob suggests it a kind of jokey thing - which it might be, of course. But I can't see anything in the presentation or demeanour that suggests it. Perhaps for one passing moment, the slightly flamboyant hammer-on (which I misdescribed as an harmonic) might be seen as tongue-in-cheek. But not obviously so.

Given the context - the laudable one of promoting a CD - it seems a little strange to have a chunk of rather enigmatic humour before actually playing the piece.

And jokes often have a point, or point of reference. Is it a parody of something or someone? Les Buffons is about as basic as is gets as a tune/ground. It's just a strong little tune. So why would you want to preamble towards it in so florid a way?

Stuart