Why make it more complicated than it is? Bartolotti wrote polyphonic music.

It is inaccurate and misleading to refer to it in this way. As I have already said Bartolotti's music is to some extent contrapuntal but not consistently so.

Some works (a number of gigues) are consistently designed in independent lines. So, Bartolotti wrote polyphonic music. A composer is free to express himself in different genres and use different techniques.

I have tried to explain that although the terms
counterpoint/contrapuntal, polyphony/polyphonic are to some extent synonymous, in common usage polyphony has more specific connotations. It is used to refer to music from before approximately 1600 which is in several separate, continuous, individual parts. Counterpoint is used in a more general sense to refer to any music in any context in two or more parts.

This really makes me doubt if you have read the full article in Grove.

It is you who should learn to use the appropriate terminology in the right context. If a native Spanish speaker was kind enough to explain to me that it is better to use one term rather than another I wouldn't be so arrogant as to suggest that I knew better than them.

There are other places than the circles where you were trained, obviously. It seems that for you the terms polyphony and counterpoint have a narrow, and perhaps regional meaning. There is so much written on the subject, in more than 5 ages. You seem to think of just 16th-century continuous contrapuntal style.

Your English is not particularly good. The editor of Lute and I spent hours of our time re-writing your articles so that they made sense.

Thanks for that. In the end there were only very few details that were unclear to the editor. It is a normal situation for foreign authors; often articles need to be translated in full, but Chris and I decided that this would be the most efficient procedure. We could proceed in here Dutch, if you like.

Lex