@Régis

> Now, I don't understand at all what this option does ...

The man page says: "This option should be used when Vim is executed by a
program that will wait for the edit session to finish (e.g. mail)."

This means: if vim usually forks, i.e. creates a new process, another process,
which invoked vim (e.g. mail). Suppressing the fork, the parent process can
call wait() in order to block until vim terminates. This is not possible, if
vim forkes away.

Greetz, Doc