How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode, The Apple Way
By David Payette:  February 20, 2019

DFU stands for Device Firmware Update, and it's the deepest type of restore
you can do on an iPhone. An Apple lead genius taught me how to put iPhones
into DFU mode, and as an Apple tech, I've done it hundreds of times.

Surprisingly, I've never seen another article explain how to enter DFU mode
the way I was trained. A lot of the information out there is just plain
wrong. In this article, I'll explain what DFU mode is, how firmware works on
your iPhone, and show you step-by-step how to DFU restore your iPhone.

If you'd rather watch than read (actually, both can be helpful), skip down
to our new YouTube video about DFU mode and how to DFU restore an iPhone.
What You Need To Know Before We Begin
.       The Home Button is the circular button below your iPhone's display.
.       The Sleep / Wake Button is Apple's name for the power button.
.       You'll need a timer to count to 8 seconds (or you can do it in your
head).
.       If you can, back up your iPhone to iCloud, iTunes, or Finder before
put your iPhone in DFU mode.
.  NEW: Macs running macOS Catalina 10.15 or newer use Finder to DFU restore
iPhones.

How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode
1.
Plug your iPhone into your computer and open iTunes if you have a Mac
running macOS Mojave 10.14 or a PC. Open Finder if you have a Mac running
macOS Catalina 10.15 or newer. It doesn't matter if your iPhone is on or
off.

2.
Press and hold the Sleep / Wake Button and Home Button (iPhone 6s and below)
or the volume down button (iPhone 7) together for 8 seconds.
3.
After 8 seconds, release the Sleep / Wake Button but continue to hold the
Home Button (iPhone 6s and below) or the volume down button (iPhone 7) until
your iPhone appears in iTunes or Finder.
4.
Let go of the Home Button or volume down button. Your iPhone's display will
be completely black if you've successfully entered DFU mode. If it's not,
try again from the beginning.
5.
Restore your iPhone using iTunes or Finder.

How To Put An iPhone 8, 8 Plus, Or X In DFU Mode
A lot of other websites give false, misleading, or overcomplicated steps
when telling you how to DFU restore your iPhone 8, 8 Plus, or X. They'll
tell you to turn off your iPhone first, which is completely unnecessary.
Your iPhone does not have to be off before you put it in DFU Mode.

If you like our videos, watch our new YouTube video about how to DFU restore
your iPhone X, 8, or 8 Plus. If you prefer to read the steps, the process is
actually a lot easier than they make it out to be! The process starts off
just like a hard reset.
1.
To DFU restore your iPhone X, 8, or 8 Plus, quickly press and release the
volume up button, then quickly press and release the volume down button, and
then press and hold the side button until the screen goes black.
2.
As soon as the screen turns black, press and hold the volume down button
while continuing to hold the side button.
3.
After 5 seconds, release the side button but continue to hold the volume
down button until your iPhone shows up in iTunes or Finder.
4.
As soon as it appears in iTunes or Finder, release the volume button. Ta-da!
Your iPhone is in DFU mode.
Note: If the Apple logo is appearing on the screen, you held down the volume
down button for too long. Start the process over from the beginning and try
again.

How To Put An iPhone XS, XS Max, Or XR In DFU Mode
The steps for putting an iPhone XS, XS Max, XR in DFU mode are exactly the
same as the steps for the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X. Check out our YouTube
video about putting an iPhone XS, XS Max, or XR in DFU mode if you're more
of a visual learner! We use my iPhone XS to walk you through every step of
the process.

How To Put An iPhone 11, 11 Pro, Or 11 Pro Max In DFU Mode
You can put an iPhone 11, 11 Pro, and 11 Pro Max in DFU mode by following
the same steps as you would for an iPhone 8 or newer. Check out our YouTube
video if you need help working through the process.
If You'd Rather Watch Than Read.
Check out our new YouTube tutorial on how to put an iPhone into DFU mode and
how to perform a DFU restore if you'd like to see it in action.

A Word Of Warning
When you DFU restore your iPhone, your computer erases and reloads every bit
of code that controls the software and hardware on your iPhone. There's the
potential for something to go wrong.

If your iPhone is damaged in any way, and especially if it's water-damaged,
a DFU restore may break your iPhone. I've worked with customers who tried to
restore their iPhones to fix a minor problem, but water had damaged another
component that prevented the restore from completing. A useable iPhone with
minor problems can become completely unusable if a DFU restore fails because
of water-damage.

What's Firmware? What Does It Do?
Firmware is the programming that controls the hardware of your device.
Software changes all the time (you install apps and download new email),
hardware never changes (hopefully, you don't open your iPhone and rearrange
its components), and firmware almost never changes - unless it has to.

What Other Electronic Devices Have Firmware?
All of them! Think about it: Your washing machine, dryer, TV remote, and
microwave all use firmware to control buttons, timers, and other basic
functions. You can't change what the Popcorn setting does on your microwave,
so it's not software - it's firmware.

DFU Restores: All Day, Every Day.
Apple employees restore a lot of iPhones. Given the option, I'd always
choose a DFU restore over a regular or recovery mode restore. This isn't
official Apple policy and some techs would say it's overkill, but if an
iPhone has a problem that can be resolved with a restore, a DFU restore
stands the best chance of fixing it.

Thanks for reading and I hope this article clarifies some of the
misinformation on the internet about how to enter DFU mode and why you'd
want to use it. I encourage you to embrace your inner geekiness. You should
be proud! Now you can tell your friends (and kids), "Yeah, I know how to DFU
restore my iPhone."
Thanks for reading and all the best,
David P.

Original Article at: