did you try turning up the volume? I read some where that that does something to the card reader .and helps it take cards.
Hank

On 7/12/2014 9:29 AM, Karl Smith wrote:

Hello Fellow square users or attempted users.

At the NFB convention I spoke with someone who is using Square with a splitter. It appears that what you need is a 4 pin splitter which in effect separates’ the microphone and headphone circuits in the iPhone headphone jack such that you can use a headphone and a separate microphone rather than one with the single jack. Well, I got one of these from Radio Shack for about $5.00 and it appears to get me a bit further down the road to working. I get audio through the headset jack and plug my card reader into the other jack. The software gets to the enter credit card number or swipe screen but no matter what I do the card won’t register when I swipe it. I do occasionally get a card not charged message and if I unplug the reader the message reader disconnected comes up indicating that it knew the reader was there. Can anyone tell me what the secret is to swiping a card? Is there something I’m not getting? I should also say that I tried swiping the card with just the reader plugged directly into the iPhone and then removing it to get audio back to see if maybe the reader really isn’t connected correctly through the splitter but it still doesn’t work. I should also say that I know this reader can work as the guy that cuts my lawn has borrowed it on occasion to use on his own iPhone. Any suggestions?

Karl

Karl Smith, Access Technology Consultant Axis

4304 South El Camino St.

Taylorsville, Utah 84129

Phone: 866-824-7885

Fax:     866-824-7885