tried using linux to check the portmaper & RPC on my XP machine, it reported that
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error - Connection refused

But I can use vnc loaded on 2 Win XP Pro machines, and it works in both directions between the 2.
Just can't seem to get my RH Linux 7.2 to work with them, having the server on the Linux side.
It DOES work using the client on the Linux side !!
What might I be doing wrong here ... somebody point me toward the next step please !
This leads me to think that the Server side on Linux has some problem ... how to isolate ...