It sounds as if your xinit isn't getting called for some reason, so you're
not getting the window manager of choice. Don't know if that'll help you
any. I know that when I ssh in and manually start VNC on my Fedora Core 3
system (and it was the same in RedHat 9) the VNC startup script called
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc