On May 6, 2007, at 3:15 AM, Michel Jullian wrote:

No Jones, the 62My period "vertical" oscillation superimposed on the "horizontal" circular orbit of the sun round the galactic center has nothing to do with the inclination of the solar system plane wrt the galactic plane. It is a purely gravitational effect due to the galactic plane being denser. The "real nemesis" is more likely to be the galactic plane itself, around which our solar system is more likely to undergo collisions. Such collisions explain why rotating clouds of matter always end up as planes BTW.

I think most of the oscillation is due to the sun's galactic orbit. We have a 200 My galactic orbital period, so, given no matter at all in the galactic plane, we should be in the galactic plane every 100 My.

Actually I believe we are still in the danger zone presently, having crossed the plane only 1My ago or so. It seems to me this is in favor of using solar sail reflectors to mitigate global warming BTW: such reflectors could also be used occasionally to deviate from very far away any asteroids detected to be on collision course, using photon pressure as was discussed here some time ago.

It seems to me likely we are interacting with something that bobs back and forth just like we do. Once two bodies in orbit closely interact it is as if they were at one time a single body, and thus they tend to interact more frequently and closely in the future (e.g the Shoemaker-Levy Comets and Jupiter.) This is a reason why hitting a golf ball off the space station may not have been a great idea!