Actually, it's quite simple to check the strength of a magnet.  At
Sprain, we use a gauss meter. You can buy one:

http://www.lessemf.com/gauss.html

or build one:

http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magmeter.htm

You can also use a simple weight scale.  Place the magnet near a
degaussed soft iron mass and measure the pull from the magnet with the
scale at a given distance.

BTW, when used in the attractive mode, we have actually seen the field
strength increase over time.

Terry