Thanks, Stephen, for the celestial mechanics tips. I've been raiding
the wikipedia files a lot these days. I'll look up those terms you
suggested.

Several days ago in the midst of my celestial programming challenges I
had come to the same preliminary conclusions (and practical solutions)
as you had suggested in regards to how best to reduce chaotic behavior
when satellites approach too closely to the gravitational body.

In a highly idealized universe, where no 3rd body influences threaten
to muck things up, perfect circular & elliptical orbits can be
maintained forever it would seem. Well, perhaps not... I suspect
Einstein's theory of General Relativity would eventually reveal subtle
perturbations, such as the charting of Mercury's orbit around the sun.
Alas, perfection will always remain a thing beyond our grasp to
perceive. ;-) This is probably a good thing!

I'm hoping that my simple iterative calculations are reasonably
accurate models of real conditions, assuming I take healthy
precautions. To be honest, my current interest is in allowing a subtle
level of CHAOS to influence my celestial bodies. I've discovered that
allowing just a pinch of CHAOS into the picture introduces surprising
results. Some of my simulations have generated unexpectedly beautiful
manifestations. Another unexpected discovery was that often the
introduction of just a little CHAOS inevitably results in the
satellite, sooner or later (sometimes MUCH later!), being eventually
ejected from the stable elliptical orbit. This has led me to speculate
(perhaps incorrectly) that there might be a similar analogy going on
with the "mechanics" of radioactivity, where, for example, if too many
variables (protons & neutrons) are introduced into the "body" the
characteristics of CHAOS eventually begin to show their influences
causing, eventually, radioactive decay as subatomic particles are
eventually "ejected" from their unstable orbits. But that's obviously
just creative speculation on my part.

Putting my radioactive musings aside I've no doubt stumbled into some
obscure branch of CHAOS theory and associated Fractal geometry.  Much
studying is going on in my noggin right now.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com