Jed Rothwell wrote:
> The Michelson-Morley experiment and interferometer, and the 1919
> Eddington eclipse observations are discussed in the book by Collins &
> Pinch, "The Golem" Cambridge U., 1993. To summarize both the
> experiment and the observations were a can of worms, and a lot less
> definitive than most history book portray.

Which is irrelevant because they have been replicated, with variations,
many times over.  It's a very difficult experiment but that doesn't keep
people from replicating it, because it's also a very important
experiment.  (Note that the difficulty stems in large part from the fact
that the effect being tested for is *second* *order*.  To first order,
emission theory, relativity, and aether theory all agree, and predict no
shift.  Consequently a sloppily done MMX is of no value, because the
looked for effects will be swamped in the noise, or, if the apparatus
isn't sufficiently rigid and there is a systematic flex, the effects
will be overwhelmed by a false "signal".  In general, amateurs need not
apply -- a version of this done in your basement won't be precise enough
to prove anything.)

History books commonly simplify things, because nobody can learn all the
details of everything that happened, and learning a simplified version
is typically better than failing to learn a more "accurate" version
because you drowned in the sea of details.

If we go by commonly taught history Einstein came up with general
relativity in a vacuum, the theory springing full blown from his brow
like whoever that was and Zeus.  In practice there were a lot of players
involved, and the idea of geometric gravity was already blowing in the wind.