On 29/05/2008, at 10:43 AM, gary dorn wrote:

howdy
I seek advice on what the suggested format for backing up my MacPro to .

my work folder is approx  8.6 GB ( containes 12 years of files)
to date I have been copying to external HD which is now full, then CD
I have been using Apples Backup app in the last 2 years

now I have just got Mac OS 10.5 for the MacPro, which means I need to prepare it so I can then install leapard and use Timemachine.

I have an Icecube 3.5" enclosure USB/Fire with a 19 GB HD ( 5 GB free)
ought I -
a. continue backing up to  DVD using Backup
b. purchase a large 2nd HD to go into the Icecube casing for use by time machine.

500Gb hard drive is less than 50 cents a giga byte ,

Seagate                 $135
Western Digital `       $110

<http://www.austin.net.au/ProductList/tabid/103/Category/STORAGE/Default.aspx?SubCategory=Hard+Drive+3.5%22+IDE >

Bob

or
c.add a 2nd Hd to the MacPro for use by Timemachine

Once leapard and time machine up working what I use to create a backup to DVD, ?

what have others done
suggestions appreciated
chow
--