I've had some success with DivX Doctor II.  If the avi creator has
created it a certain way (as are about 80-90% of them in my
experience) DivX Doctor converts it to a .mov file with zero loss a
quality and only takes about 5min for a 700mb file. iTunes plays these
no probs, but don't know about iPods.
In the other 10-20% of avi files, DivX Doctor gives an error and fails.
cheers
Travis