Hi Ian,

On 28/03/2009, at 12:02 AM, ianre...@westnet.com.au wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronda Brown" <ro...@wn.com.au>
Sent: Friday, 27 March, 2009 4:27:33 PM GMT +08:00 Beijing / Chongqing / Hong Kong / Urumqi
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour

Did you highlight (click once) each of the Mailboxes first before you
chose Mailbox>Rebuild?

No. I shift-clicked the lot. I have now done them individually but, apart from a couple of minor exceptions, there was no evidence of movement, starting, running or finishing the actions. So I assume they have been rebuilt.

Shift-clicking all the Mailboxes is fine if you only have one account.
If you don't have a lot of messages in the Mailbox the rebuild is very quick. The messages disappear and return quickly in the Message List window.

If you have more than one account, the inbox, drafts, & sent will have
an arrow you need to click it to open & then click on each mailbox &
then chose Mailbox>Rebuild

Inbox had a small zigzag-like marker which disappeared on clicking but there was no marker on 'Sent'. Whenever I click on 'Sent', 'Rebuild' fades to grey and is unavailable.

That zigzag (squiggle) beside you Inbox meant that the email account was Offline (not connected to the mail server).

"3. Did you try Quit Mail, navigate to ~/Library/Mail and drag the
file Envelope Index to the Trash. When you launch Mail again, it'll
tell you that you need to "reimport" all your messages (just as it
when Ian upgraded to Leopard), it will recreate his envelope index
from scratch, but he won't lose any data.?"

I can't remember if this was done.

Please do this as soon as possible. I assumed you had already done this as I suggested this a few days go. It doesn't actually "Import" all your messages, it just creates a new envelope index from scratch.

I want you to do this because your envelope index—a special database that Mail uses to keep track of which messages are in which mailboxes— and the other files that Mail uses to catalogue messages I think has become severely damaged.

Did you run the OS X 10.5.6 Combo Update?"

No.

Wouldn't hurt to download and run it.

I'll try it.

It perhaps would be easier for us to follow you, if you replied to the
message you are actually referring to.

My apologies for trying to answer two emails with one. I'll do it correctly in future, starting with this one.

No apologies necessary Ian, it just gets a bit hard to follow a thread especially when it lasts for a few days with lots of messages.

Please do number 3. and let us know how you get on.