Hi Rosemary,

It sounds like it could be something wrong with the name of the Album you deleted. The AlbumData.xml file when you viewed it in Dreamweaver (you can also view it in Safari) the problem album is the Album after the last displayed!

The "Expected end tag 'string' [xml] I would assume by that that there is a problem with the name of the album AFTER the last displayed (not necessary any particular photo).
Was their a "&" or "/" in the name of the album?
Try changing the name of the Album, then Close iPhoto, opened iTunes, do a sync.

If you still have a problem syncing this album, take all the photos out of it, and add one photo at a time.
Close iPhoto - Open iTunes try a sync
If it syncs fine, add another photo, sync your iPod - and continue doing this until you find the one photo that is causing the problem.