Hello People,

I have just looked at the video stream of the February WAMUG Meeting, many
thanks Martin for doing this, it is very much appreciated by members who are
unable to get to meetings.

I was a bit surprised to hear mentioned that I said iPhoto'09 will not handle
AdobeRGB format, that the person was unable to import any of her photos into
iPhoto to create a Slideshow.
The person may have misunderstood when I was explaining why iPhoto would not
import some "scanned images"into iPhoto, as they were "Grayscale", iPhoto does
NOT support "Grayscale".
When I made this comment:
> "iPhoto does not support greyscale photos - scan them as (or change the
> colour profile to) sRGB - they will still display as Black and White but
> iPhoto will work with them".

It was for a person who displays their images for viewing on the Web & Computer
screens so sRGB works better than AdobeRGB format in this instance.

Supported File Formats:
iPhoto can import images in any file format supported by Apple’s QuickTime
technology, including BMP, GIF, FlashPix, JPEG, MacPaint, movies (read-only),
PICT, PNG, Photoshop, RAW (those flavours supported by Mac OS X in general),
SGI,Targa, and TIFF.

RAW File Facts:
Apple’s support for RAW files in iPhoto has caused some confusion.
The following facts may shed some light on it for you:

RAW files are considered to be “digital negatives” that aren’t to be modified,
so changes you make are always saved to a secondary file.
As a result, on import, iPhoto converts the RAW file to JPEG and stores the RAW
file itself in the Originals folder. Alternatively, you can set iPhoto to save
edited RAW files as 16-bit TIFFs.

You never work on the RAW file directly, only on its JPEG or TIFF stand-in. If
you wish to throw out your edits and start a new copy from the RAW file again,
choose Reprocess RAW from the Photos menu.

Because of the large size of uncompressed RAW files and the JPEG conversion
that occurs during import, the import process can take a longer time with RAW
files.

When you edit a RAW file, iPhoto displays a RAW badge at the bottom of the
display pane or in the toolbar in full screen view.

Scrolling may seem slower when browsing through large thumbnails of RAW files.
The problem is that when you’re using a thumbnail size larger than the actual
thumbnails, iPhoto must load the original photo to create the thumbnail.
That’s a slower process. To speed up scrolling, press 1 while in organise mode
to zoom to thumbnail size (press 0 to zoom to the smallest size).

To export a RAW file in RAW format, choose Original from the Format pop-up menu
in the Export Photos dialogue.

For more info, see <http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22895>

The Raw format for every model of camera is different, and each model has to be
supported individually. The list of cameras currently supported is here:

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3825>
Let Apple know you want your camera supported:

iPhoto menu -> Provide iPhoto Feedback

Alternatives include processing the Raws with the software that came with your
camera and exporting the results as tiff or jpeg and importing those, or
converting the Raw to DNG with Adobe's Camera Raw and trying to import them.
----------
In iPhoto > Preferences > Advanced - Importing:
To set or change colour profile options:

1. Choose iPhoto > Preferences.

2. Click Advanced.

3. Select or deselect “Copy items to the iPhoto Library.”

Deselecting this option means that iPhoto doesn’t duplicate photos when
importing them into the application, but leaves them in their original
locations on your computer.
When you edit these images in iPhoto, however, the edited versions are saved in
the iPhoto library.
Your original files remain untouched.

 4. If you selected “Copy items,” do one of the following:

a) Select "Embed ColorSync profile" to assign a colour profile.

This is usually "cameraRGB," an Apple-specific version of the commonly used
sRGB, which allows image colours to map more closely to Apple monitors.
If your image file settings specify the use of AdobeRGB, iPhoto assigns that
profile.

Or b) Deselect “Embed ColorSync profile” if you want to import the photo in its
current state, and do not want to add a ColorSync profile to the image.
------------
Should you always shoot RAW?
Well, no. RAW is slower than JPEG capture and that can present difficulties
when photographing action, especially with a point-and-shoot camera.
Of course, shooting action with any point-and-shoot is often an exercise in
frustration because of the shutter lag and slow write times.
You might want to save RAW for things like portraits and scenic-type subjects.

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)