Hi team

Mail.app has been rejecting the correct password for incoming BigPond emails. The exact error message is "the POP server ** rejected the password for user **. Please re-enter your password"

This has been happening for about 4 months.
We are re-entering the password over 20 times per day.
We have 2 different iMacs accessing this email account.
They are set to 5-minute intervals to check for new mail.
We are running Leopard.
We have been using this BigPond email address for 10+ years without a hitch, problems only started this year.

I have Googled the problem extensively. Others have been reporting this issue back to 2002, but it seems no true resolution. So far I have tried a combination of Google answer therapies (!) ...

1) Deleted all keychains
2) Deleted the contents of User -> Library -> Caches
3) Deleted the contents of User -> Library -> Keychain -> Login keychain
4) Tried deleting the mail account Mail -> Preferences -> Account altogether and re-establishing it again.
5) Mailbox -> Rebuild

but each of these options haven't helped, even slightly.

It's a business email address, so we can receive up to 100 emails each day on a busy day. We keep all trashed emails to electronically measure our workflow, so deleting our large trashed emails folder isn't an option either.

I'm turning to WAMUG as a last resort - I hope someone would have heard of a workaround.

Thanks and regards

Marissa