Hi Ronni,

Thanks for the additional info - and not taking offence at my 1am rant  ;o)
:

on 30/9/10 8:17 AM, Ronda Brown at ro...@mac.com wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> On 30/09/2010, at 1:48 AM, Neil Houghton wrote:
>
>> Definitely a BAD thing in my book ­ you already have security settings to
>> allow you to only approve the bluetooth connections you want on a
>> case-by-case basis.
>
> I think Apple have gone this route as they are determined to keep the iPhone
> as secure as they possibly can.
>
> Once you give people the option to lay their phones wide open by say allowing
> a phone to be "Always visible and connectable" as many other phones do, then
> you're asking for the onslaught of phone viruses and trojans.

Yes, but that¹s really no different to setting up your iMac, say, with no
password protection and firewall off and setting up a wireless network with
no security ­ you would be asking for trouble.

Surely, all they need to do is make the more secure Bluetooth settings the
default settings ­ so you would have to intentionally open it up to be
"Always visible and connectable"

> Using peer-to-peer connectivity
>
> "Stereo headphones/systems, handsfree telephone and telephone headsets,
> peer-to-peer apps, and tethering in countries whose providers support this.
>
> Peer to peer is not tethering. See this...
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3621>

OK, that makes more sense now, thanks for the link. So it would seem that
bluetooth file transfer should, indeed be do-able ­ just that it needs a
third party app to actually implement it (as Peter alluded to in his post) -
I will investigate this option.

> iPhone iOS4 User Guide:
> <http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf>

Hehe, Yeah rtfm! ...  I must admit, I had already downloaded  this and
skimmed through it ­ but thought I would leave real reading of all 244 pages
till later!    Still, although the manual gives lots of details of how to do
various things ­ I didn¹t see anywhere where it pointed out that Apple did
not allow photos to be transferred by bluetooth.

> On Page 116 of the above Manual:
> Sharing Photos and Videos:
> You can send photos and videos in email and MMS messages, add photos and
> videos to MobileMe galleries, and publish videos to YouTube.
> You can also copy and paste photos and videos, save photos and videos from
> email messages to Photos, and save images from webpages to Photos.

Yeah, but using up two peoples wireless broadband data allowance to transfer
photos between two devices in close proximity would seem to be not only
inefficient and expensive but, somehow, just plain WRONG!

> This link includes the bluetooth profiles that the iPhone supports.
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647>
>
> Neil you asked what the Profiles meant: Personal Area Network Profile(PAN),
> Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) mean?
> Answer:
> Stereo headphones/systems, handsfree telephone and telephone headsets,
> peer-to-peer apps, and tethering in countries whose providers support this.
>
> Reunion uses a wireless connection via Airport to Sync.

I guess my point/question here was what is the bluetooth profile that the
iPhone does NOT support that would allow bluetooth file transport if the
iPhone DID support it ­ however from the further info above, I am getting
the impression that the problem is not an unsupported bluetooth profile but
rather that bluetooth file transport would use one of the supported
bluetooth profiles (Personal Area Network Profile??) but the problem is that
no means is actually provided to implement this. (again, I will now
investigate third party apps).

Ronni, thanks again for all the good info ­ even when the solutions are
elusive or the answers are not what I want to hear, I always end up knowing
more than when I started!!

Cheers

Neil
--