Hi Matt,

On 03/09/2011, at 12:21 AM, Matt Falvey wrote:

> Hi Ronni,
>
> Unfortunately this is the Unibody with the built in battery. That is why I
> tried pressing at the same time the Shift, Control, Option on the LHS along
> with the Start button, releasing and waiting 5 seconds and then pressing the
> start button. Which I think is resetting the SMC for the Unibody which is it
> version of resetting the SMC for the removable battery MBP's that you have
> shown below?

Yes, this is correct.

> Anyway it didn't work.  My daughter said that she had been using the MBP
> watching videos' and had put it to sleep and then could not get it to restart
> from then on. So it appears as if it had not been turned off when it stopped.

I’m hoping it is not what I suspect, but It does sound similar to what happened
on one of my previous MacBook Pros, a 17” MBP3,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz that
had  NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Graphics Card installed.

I ended up having two LogicBoard replacements done by Nick at Joondalup MacWorx
before the issue was eventually resolved.

Can you get the MBP to startup if you hold the Power Button down for a few
seconds longer than normal?

When my MBP would not ‘wake from sleep’, I went through all the resetting SMC,
PRAM etc, all to no effect.
I won’t include everything I tried to get my MBP working properly again, I have
a six (6) page document of everything I did.
I used every diagnostic and repair tool I have, I had Daniel look at the MBP
and run all his tests over it.

I could manage to get it to ‘wake from sleep’ for a few days, and then it would
not.
At one stage, when everything I tried failed to correct the problem. I  Booted
from SL install disc, used Disk Utility (on the disc) and ERASED the system on
MBP
Then Installed Snow Leopard & restored from a Time Machine backup.

MBP worked for a few days, then same thing.

If it is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT Graphics, it will need to be replaced,
which means the LogicBoard will need to be replaced.
I would suggest you get Daniel to have a look at it, and if it is the Video
Card / LogicBoard it will need to be replaced by MacWorx Joondalup.