Hi Daniel,

Yes, did try the keyboard on my laptop, running same software -
Leopard.  Worked exactly the same.
Under Others in Systems Prefs - have  Application Enhancer, CNET Tech
Tracker, Default Folder X, DIVX, Earthdesk, FlashPlayer, FLip4Mac WMV,
Growl, IPliz, MacFuse
NetUpdate, NTFS for Mac OSX, Perian, Printopia.

The new keyboard is an Apple, wired, with the number pad to the
righthand side - exactly the same visually as my old one.

Yes, I have restored defaults, I thought the same as yourself.

No files in the Keyboard Layouts.

I wonder if you may have something though when you mentioned about
some hardware with 10.5.8 not recognising the new keyboard.

Thanks Daniel

Cheers
Jewels