Hi Peter

When the internet goes down, you could try plugging the DLink straight into a
computer  via Ethernet. No one else will then have internet, but for a little
second it will show if the DLink is actually on the net or not. Then you can
rule out that part. And look at the other components.
If the Time Capsule thinks it's still getting "all the right commands" from the
DLink then it will stay green.
I've seen Dlinks "think" they are on the internet and they really aren't.
You really shouldn't have to turn them off a lot.
I run a Netgear modem here with a Time Capsule and the only time it really goes
off is a) in a power failure or b) when the power "flickers" in a lightening
storm. Other then that it runs 24/7 without a hiccup.
Depending on the age of your D-Link it may need replaced. I've had a few of
those go recently with clients. I'd recommend a Netgear. They work really well,
have great specs and are very easy to use.

Hope that helps

Kind regards
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone 4s