If it's POP mail then the message gets downloaded directly to your computer.

So if the emails appear on the laptop, and then disappear, then I don't think this can be a server problem.

I'm not familiar with how Mail works. If it uses a file system, then disappearing messages implies a flaky hard disk.

If it uses a database, disappearing messages implies a flaky database - which /may/ be related to a flaky hard disk.

I'd be running disk utility and a hardware test. Boot up with the d key pressed - I hope I remembered this correctly!

Can you google 'repair mail mailbox' or similar?

Hope this gets you started.

Rob