Thank you Daniel & Robert.

I have now confirmed that the USB sockets on my iMac are USB 3.0
It is a Dec 2012 iMac i7 3.1Ghz

And that one of my WD Portable backup drives is USB 2.0 (the other 2 are USB
3.0)
The USB 2.0 drive is also only 500MB and is my SuperDuper safe backup (needs to
be bigger & faster).
I saw a weekend K Mart advert for Imation 1TB USB 3.0 portable drives for
$79.00 (excellent price).
But wanted to check how up to date my current drives were before dashing down
to K Mart.
My last SuperDuper backup took way too long (even for a smart backup).
So I am off to K Mart (thanks to you guys).

The above deal might be good info for other WAMUGGERS too !!