Hey Ed,

We're using jqGrid with XML data. Something thoughts (if you haven't
tried them already):

1.) Try your grid with the FireBug plugin for FireFox and look at the
response being returned to the grid. I've had web2py tickets thown at
that point and the only to see it is via Firebug. Or just check for
tickets from the admin app

2.) Did you set the response headers? in my case I had to
use...response.headers["Content-Type"]="text/xml"

3.) What does your controller look like? In my controller that serves
up the XML I just return a string with the XML data "return xml"
instead of "return dict(xml = xml)"

Hope that helps. I like jqGrid since it has excellent documentation
and hope more of us can make it work with web2py.

Mike