auth.settings.formstyle = 'divs'

Also, in the 'user' function, auth() returns a form object -- you can
customize that as desired via the methods described
here: http://web2py.com/book/default/chapter/07#Custom-forms. Note, auth()
returns a different kind of form (e.g., login, registration, etc.) depending
on the particular request args passed to 'user', so you need to make your
customizations conditional on the type of form.

Anthony