> Quoting L. Cranswick ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>
> > For this type of mirroring - you may also like to explore using
> > rsync (free open source) [...]
> >
> > This can be far more effective than using FTP or HTTP mirroring.
> > The algorithm is open source so there is no reason why it cannot be
> > added into WGET.
>
> Given there is a well-working implementation of rsync server and rsync
> client, does it make sense to add this functionality to wget?
>
> -- jan

Some sites allow retrieval of information via rsync so
this could make it a candidate algorithm to include
with WGET as a internet retrieval program (under this
criteria - even CVS could be added?)

I would not put it high on the list - but it could be useful
given the exclude/include parser in rsync is quite woeful -
but quite nifty in wget under many circumstances.

Rather than have WGET, Rsync and CVS - do it all in
WGET?

Lachlan.

--
Lachlan M. D. Cranswick

Collaborative Computational Project No 14 (CCP14)
    for Single Crystal and Powder Diffraction
Daresbury Laboratory, Warrington, WA4 4AD U.K
Tel: +44-1925-603703  Fax: +44-1925-603124
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Ext: 3703  Room C14
                           http://www.ccp14.ac.uk

After 10th January 2001 - visiting:
   CSIRO Division of Minerals, Bayview Ave, Clayton,
       Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3168
  CSIRO Tel: (613) 9545-8500 - Switch
  CSIRO Tel: (613) 9545-8802 - Direct
  CSIRO Fax: (613) 9562-8919  (made c/o Ian Madsen)