I searched the archives at http://fly.srk.fer.hr/archive/wget and saw that
this problem originally occurred in 1.6, but apparently the proposed patch
never made it in.

What happens is, when built outside of the source heirarchy, and configure
is called like ../wget-1.7/configure, then make install fails to install
the info files.

The patch proposed (and apparently rejected at the time), reverted to
earlier (1.5.3?) style Makefile.in that prepended $(srcdir)/ to wget.info.

One question that came up in the thread was "What do GNU projects do in
this case."  So I looked at a canonical GNU project, binutils.

If built outside of srcdir, an the original texinfo files are touched, or
the info files (in the srcdir) are deleted, they are not regenerated.  I
did not test what would happen if configured inside of srcdir.

Considering the fact that wget should be packaged with up to date info
files (as pointed out in the earlier thread), and that not everyone will
have makeinfo installed anyway, that it is safe to revert back to the 1.5.3
method of installing info files from $(srcdir).

Btw, a comment on the archives at http://fly.srk.fer.hr/archive/wget.  That
URL does not appear to be working.  If anyone knows anyone there, could you
point it out?  I had to use the mbox format archive.  Rather large.  :->

Also, if any discussion is taken up on this, could you keep me on the CC
list.  If it gets interesting, I'll subscribe.  Normally I'd follow via the
archive list but as it's currently inaccessible...

Cheers,
mrc
--
     Mike Castle      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/