Maurice Cinquini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I don't think using only a fraction of a second is a reliable method
> for estimating current bandwidth.   Here are some factors that can
> make for a wildly varing ETAs when just looking at the last fraction
> of a second.
>   - TCP slow start.
>   - Kernel level buffering
>   - Other network traffic

That's beside the point; this was never intended to be a scientific
method of determining bandwidth.  All I aimed for was something more
useful than dividing total bytes with total time.  And for bandwidth,
I'm confident that my current method is better than what was
previously in place.  I'm not so sure about ETA, though.

I don't like apt's method of calculating the CPS only every N seconds,
because -- if I'm reading it right -- it means that you see the same
value for 6 seconds, and then have to wait another 6 seconds for
refresh.  That sucks.  `links', for example, offers both average and
current speed, and the latter seems to be updated pretty swiftly.

Still, thanks for the suggestions.  Unless I find a really cool
different suggestion, I'll fall back to the previous method for ETA.