On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 14:06, Casey Brown <cbrown1023...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's a sad reality. :-(  Wikipedians respond too crazily to
> COIs... what we usually suggest is that people don't tell others that
> they have first-hand knowledge. :-)

Here is dmoz.org's policy on insider editors:

"The ODP exists as a non-commercial, end-user resource created by Web
users for Web users.  We do not bar editors with business
affiliations, since those editors with their own sites usually know
their competition and related sites better than anyone.  This
knowledge can be ideal for helping build an authoritative directory."

Does Wikipedia have something similar?

> In the end, it should matter what
> is written and how it's supported -- not who wrote it.

This idea sounds great. Is there a policy or rule for it?

I'm asking because in the same [[Wikipedia:Articles for
deletion/MojoMojo]], users of this FOSS pitched in with various
arguments, and were flagged as:

"[[User:foo]] has made few or no other edits outside this topic."

I find this detrimental to Wikipedia because it means that only
established Wikipedia users should edit a specialized article (or talk
about its deletion). But in the vast majority of cases, FOSS
developers are focused on development and don't even have a Wikipedia
account. The above flag then effectively muzzles the voices of those
who know, in favor of those who have made many edits but have little
particular experience in the subject matter.