On Tue, 17 Jan 2012, Nathan wrote:
> There are so many good candidates, in fact, we will need some way of
> narrowing them down. A SOPA protest fits a somewhat narrow range - a United
> States law that could effect a Wikimedia project.

There you go.  I don't see the point of coming up with a whole paragraph of
obviously irrelevant examples when in your next paragraph you explain why they
are irrelevant.

> can't imagine we would get much opposition to a protest against censorship
> and filtering in China...

I can.  You're displaying the literal-mindedness that's too common
on Wikipedia: everything has to be reduced down to a rule which something
either passes or fails and there's no such thing as nuance.  The correct
answer is that while many things affect Wikipedia, not everything affects
Wikipedia to an equal degree.  How do you figure out if a particular law
affects Wikipedia to a sufficient degree?  It's hard--you discuss it and
maybe take a poll--but one thing you don't do is have an absolute rule
which insists that we must protest it if it passes the rule and we must
ignore it if it fails the rule.