On Thu, 17 Apr 2014, Jonathan Cardy wrote:

For media files there are two things we already have, size of the file and
who created it.

Filesize doesn't guarantee quality, but there must be a size below which we
just have a blurry thumbnail.

This is only true of photographic images. Quality of SVG files is entirely independent of filesize and dimensions.

Assessing the possible quality of images by looking at how many other
quality images have come from the same user is likely to be helpful.
Another image by someone who has had multiple featured pictures should be a
positive on any rating system.

There is a danger in this of selecting images only from those who submit their work for review. One user on Commons has possibly hundreds of Quality Images of rolling stock, I have none. I know I am biased but some (not all by any means) of my images are of equal or greater quality but I have never submitted my images for review in this way.

This is not to say the approaches are without merit, just that it is important to be aware of potential limitations.

----
Chris McKenna

cmcke...@sucs.org
www.sucs.org/~cmckenna