User "NeilK" posted a comment on MediaWiki.r94627.

Full URL: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:Code/MediaWiki/94627#c22980
Commit summary:

Add FormData upload transport.
If enabled this is used in Browsers that support FormData.
Larger files are uploaded in chunks.

Comment:

I think this *might* be an attempt to determine whether the browser supports a
slice() API.

In UploadWizard's model, we determine what the uploadHandler is going to be at
object creation time. But! At this point there isn't a file object around
that's handy to test. So perhaps this is the reason to look at browser versions.

So, perhaps we need to allow a later decision of what the uploadHandler is. Or,
we figure out some way to do a more browser-neutral test earlier (maybe we can
create zero-length file with a data:// URL and see if it has a slice method?)