Hi Paul,

On 2/25/10 11:43 AM, Paul Vriens wrote:
Hi Jacek,

On 02/24/2010 09:30 PM, Jacek Caban wrote:
Hi Paul,

On 2/24/10 8:59 PM, Paul Vriens wrote:
Hi,

We seem to have 2 different approaches for dll registration:

1) a regsvr.c file with all the necessary functions and registry
information.
2) an inf file and some code to register/unregister the dll.

3) IRegistrar from atl.dll

I see you already sent some atl patches ;)

I just took a look how its implementation looks these days and saw some obvious bugs. They won't matter for using IRegistrar in Wine registration code.

The first one is the most common in our source but I can remember a
comment from AJ about favoring the latter (or at least something like
"maybe we should start using inf files for registration").

Thoughts?

I think both 2) and 3) are way better than regsvr.c. It avoids code
duplication and you can add much more custom registries without a single
line of C (I'd call it more flexible, but it's more a better
flexibility/efforts factor). IRegistrar is much simplier than .inf
parser, so it has fewer builtin features. Most useful things may be
handled IRegistrar and very simple code in DllRegisterServer
implementation to pass some string replacements. Using it would also

The registration in atl is currently with some 'hardcoded' values in the C-files. Wouldn't it be beneficiary to move these strings to the atl.rgs file? Than you wouldn't truly need a line of C code when things need to be changed?

I prefer not to duplicate CLSIDs and have them hardcoded in one place. It may avoid some typos and make make .inf/.rgs files nicer, but I don't feel strong about.

The above is not really an issue of course if we have autogenerated code for the registration.

Right.

Jacek