On Apr 23, 2013, at 2:45 AM, Sam Edwards wrote:

> On 04/22/2013 07:08 PM, Ken Thomases wrote:
>> I can't speak to how Windows would render it, but one such font is Zapfino.
>> It's an "exuberant" calligraphic font with lots of flourishes, some of which
>> have strokes extending into the line above or below.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zapfino https://www.google.com/images?q=zapfino
>> -Ken
>
> I have never known about this font -- very stylistic indeed. :)
>
> While there are plenty of strokes that go well above the cap height or below
> the baseline, the Win Ascent and Win Descent values (which are defined as
> yMax for all glyphs and -yMin for all glyphs, respectively) in the metric
> tables are valid - none of the glyphs violate these limits, so the patch
> doesn't affect this (correctly-formatted) font.
>
> I loaded it up in Wine's Notepad, both with and without my patch, and took
> screenshots of the output:
> http://cfsworks.com/files/images/screenshots/zapfino_wine_unpatched.png
> http://cfsworks.com/files/images/screenshots/zapfino_wine_patched.png

Hmm.  I assumed that ascent+descent+leading equals the distance between
baselines.  In a Mac-native text editor, the strokes of one line of Zapfino can
extend into the lines above or below, which is why I figured they exceeded the
ascent and descent values. Notepad doesn't let the lines get that close,
though.  So, something else must be going on.  I guess this isn't relevant to
the question at issue with your patch.  Never mind. ;)

-Ken