Last Friday, someone told me that when they plugged in a BelAir 100T
unit into a mesh, the system degraded.  Suspecting some sort of
broadcast storm, I went over to the apartment complex and configured the
problem unit to blacklisted a neighboring MAC address, so that it only
saw one neighbor, rather than two (and creating a possible loop).

I didn't set up this network, but assuming these units were enabled
properly with RSTP (802.1w), what could have happened here?

(I unfortunately didn't have time to look into it properly, just kludge
it and go on to the next problem)