Title: [ot] Databases

When we set up our database interface the goal was to be able to support  several databases, MSSQL, Pervasive.SQL, MS-Access, Oracle, Informix etc.
We didn’t supply any triggers or stored proc. But just to name all tables, columns, Pkey, Fkey was a tricky job because they all have their own
rules for reserved names. The connection from the application with ODBC or ADO/OLEDB was the easy part of it.
So migrate from MSSQL to something else can give you naming problems which will end up in editing your application.
If you also use triggers and stored proc. that will also give you problems in converting from transact SQL to something else.
Different databases have separate implementations of joins as well, which can give you application problems.

As you say there are tools that can help, one can be data junction. I haven’t tried it but I hear it’s good, se more at
http://www.pervasive.com/migrationtoolkit/

Today we prefer MSSQL, it cost some money but the best thing with it today (from ver 7) is that you don’t need any dba to handle it.
Online backup, automatically checked integrity and index and scheduled jobs etc. Right set up it works like a charm.
I think Oracle still need a dba to maintain the database. Oracle itself (as I remember ver 8) is one database on one computer. You only add tables to it
so
that also give you naming problems. There can only be one table named ‘customer’ on one Oracle database. In MSSQL you just create a separate database
on the same computer.

I have just begin looking at MySQL and it seems to be an alternative if you don’t require triggers or stored proc. Most people think it’s free but that’s only
true if your application code is open source else you have to pay for the license. Ok it’s cheep comparing to MSSQL or Oracle.

So if you don’t have any good reason to leave MSSQL, why do it ?

/Bengt