Hi Joe,

> placed an image in  the opaque block and it is opaque - but I don't want it
> to be.   Is there a way to turn off the opacity of top image?

As Porter Glendinning replied to a similar post on css-discuss:
"...the problem you're running up against is not one of inheritance.
When you set the opacity of a container it effects everything that
element contains. As far as any descendants of that container are
concerned, 100% opaque now means whatever opacity was set on the
container..."

In fact, Porter goes on to outline the issue and suggests ways to
overcome it at:
http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/39758

-ben