I am using Wordpress to power my entire site (http://clwill.com), static

pages, integrated blog, everything, and it is hosted by 1and1.  It works

wonderfully.

Just install WP locally on your LAMP setup, pick a theme that you like,

and start fiddling.  If you create "pages" in WP, they are static,

"posts" are part of the blog.  If your theme includes a "home.php"

that's the front page.  If you change your "header.php" and or

"footer.php" in your theme, you can change the look of the whole site.

To get an idea about how this works, just open up the theme files and

poke around.  It's really not that complicated, most themes consist of

only about a dozen files, all with very logical names (comment.php,

sidebar.php, etc.).  And PHP is not rocket science, you'll get the hang

of it in just a hour or so of poking around.  There are a bazillion WP

templates out there (check out http://themes.wordpress.net for a few

hundred...) from which to draw ideas.

Using WP as your CMS system to build your whole site is a really clean,

simple solution.  I'm a huge fan of the concept.  As for a local LAMP

setup, I am using XAMPP (as was suggested) and it works great.

HTH,

Chris