Philippe Gerum wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 12:48 +0200, Philippe Gerum wrote:

>>> I think to remember asking for a CONFIG switch here. Some applications
>>> actually benefit while others (I even think most) do not need it or even
>>> easily screw themselves up during init/cleanup. You know, my old
>>> concerns. :)
>>>
>> A dynamic switch is better there. You may want this behaviour to be
>> settable on a thread-by-thread basis.
>>

> Actually, we could have both, dynamic and static switches, just like the
> interrupt shield.

Hurray! (Otherwise, I would have kicked off a discussion about the
default setting ;-))

>>> This doesn't sound bad and would probably help low-prio threads also in
>>> some other scenarios.
>>>
>> I'm currently implementing that at nucleus level.
>>
>>> Nevertheless, a syscall-less pthread_setschedparam would still be a good
>>> idea as well, this time having the caller in mind who wishes to change
>>> its priority without entering Linux.
>> Reading the comment Gilles put there, it's likely not possible to have a
>> syscall-less implementation on top of the NPTL. We need to give a chance
>> to the NPTL to track the priority update, otherwise,
>> pthread_getschedparam() is going to break.

Yep, saw that. I would start thinking about what we gain by wrapping
that service as well (e.g. by mirroring the state in a per-__thread
variable). Would likely work as long as the thread stays in primary
mode, but we still need to propagate the setting when entering secondary
mode. Maybe some soft-IRQ to Linux can help here. It could apply the
scheduler change on Linux re-entry.

Well, I'm probably overseeing tons of pitfalls, or all this becomes
terribly complicated.