Am 21.05.2012 um 15:05 schrieb Anakreon:

> From suggestions I found on the Internet, a minimal example demonstrating the
> problem is the following:

Try it in a sensible order:

        \documentclass[twoside,a4paper, 12pt]{article}
        \usepackage{fontspec}
        \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text,Ligatures=TeX}
        \setmainfont{Times New Roman}
        \newfontfamily\greekfont[Script=Greek]{Times New Roman}
        \usepackage{polyglossia}
        \setdefaultlanguage{greek}
        \setotherlanguage{english}
        \begin{document}
        Outside ``english'' environment --

        \begin{english}
        ``Quotes'' -- inside english environment
        \end{english}

        \begin{greek}
          ``Ελληνικό'' -- περιβάλλον
        \end{greek}

        ``Ελληνικά''
        \end{document}

The \defaultfontfeatures{} need to come first. They have to exist when you
define the fonts.

--
Greetings

  Pete

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue