Any client which wants to talk to the server needs to have
authorization to do so.  X is a network transparent window system
and it's what keeps *me* from popping windows up on *your* server.
It also keeps other processes on your system (potentially owned
by other users) from displaying or getting information from the
screen.  That's what's happening in this case since it's rejecting
from "localhost".  Whatever is trying to connect to your server
doesn't have authorization to do so.  I would guess it's a bug
in your display manager or a script related to it.  Also, some
apps like xscreensaver can have this problem if you are running
as root.  See the man page on xhost.

                        Mark.