I'm using XF4.2+Rage128 with problems as well.
I also am happy to see xawtv+DRI work!

I think I had some Xv problems before switching to
the current CVS, but I had bigger problems.
Text video consoles became inaccessible frequently,
and occasional 2D acceleration bugs, usually when
moving a long scrollbar. The 2D bugs
used to lockup X (KB+mouse dead). I also got
random hangs when closing a window, but then CPU
use goes to 100% and pointer is alive, so it's
a different problem.

I did another CVS update two days ago and recompiled.
There are now no more lockups,
but VT text terminals still die frequently,
and 2D drawing bugs still happen.

Maybe this is related to your drawing bugs.
DO you see this in your logs when DRI is enabled?
[drm:r128_cce_indirect] *ERROR* process 2865 using buffer owned by 0

Do you ever lose the VT text consoles?

Joe Krahn