Excellent!!

I compiled a fresh XFree distribution and moved the drm kernel driver
radeon.o and agpgart.o away from the kernel-module search paths. Now I
am getting exactly what I want on both the CRT and the LCD. The CRT has
a refresh rate of 75 Hz....where its usable :-)

However! DRI isnt working. Relevant lines from XFree86.0.log (the whole
file is at http://www.senfamily.org/xfree/XFree86.0.log_20020711 ):

[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.

If I cant use the radeon.o from the kernel, where can I compile one
from? Its not obvious where in the Xfree tree it is. 'make World' under
xc didnt seem to produce one.

Also, how about AGP? Should I be using:
  "Option           "AGPMode" "1"
in the device section? Do I need agpgart.o from the kernel for AGP support?

Last but not the least, where can I get the source for the ati_drv and
radeon_drv modules that you sent me?

Thanks VERY much!
DS

hy0 wrote:
> It looks like you are still loading Gatos drm kernel driver (can't get too
> much from your corrupted log file). The drivers I sent you will NOT work
> with any Gatos drivers, it will lock up for sure if you still have the Gatos
> version of drm kernel driver (radeon.o) on your system to be loaded. Try to
> disable DRI or replace the DRI kernel driver (radeon.o) with the one from
> stock X4.2 or from Linux distributions like RH7.3.
> Specifying "ati" or "radeon" in your config file should give the same
> result. If not, your drivers are broken somehow.
> If you prefer to using Gatos drivers, posting your problem to Gatos forum
> may help you better. But I doubt they will have a better solution for your
> current problem.
>
> Hui

D. Sen, PhD
21 Woodmont Drive
Randolph
NJ 07869
Home Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: 973 216 2326
Work Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Web: http://www.auditorymodels.org/~dsen