On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[...]
>   The menus may have a "gradient" or "bitmap" backgroundPixmap.
> Check with editres:
> "Commands->Get Tree"
> select the xterm window
> select the "fontMenu" toggle
> "Commands->Show Resource Box"
> check if the backgroundPixmap is anything other than "XtUnspecifiedPixmap"

Indeed backgroundPixmap has a "gradient", and I can make the symptoms move
by tweaking the values of the gradient.

>   This may happen because menu entries are painted with a xor gc, and the
> effect is more visible if you are running at 8bpp.

AFAICT, I'm running 16bpp (pardon the ignorance, but how would I confirm
this?).  I take it that means it would be expected to be worse at 8bpp?

>   If this is the case, you can add:
> XTerm*SimpleMenu.backgroundPixmap:  XtUnspecifiedPixmap
> to your $HOME/.Xdefaults

Yes, using editres to change the backgroundPixmap value to
XtUnspecifiedPixmap makes the symptoms go away.

Is this a bug?  If so, in what?

FWIW, I've just reproduced it with the stock trident_drv.o in 4.2, so I
figure it's not to be blamed on the trident_drv.o from
http://www.xfree86.org/~alanh

Thanks,
Neale.