I just wanted to post that I'm having pretty good success with XFree
4.2.0 plus the patch from Mike Harris for the Radeon Mobility FireGL
7800.  I have an IBM Thinkpad A31p (2653-H6U).  I built XFree from
source without any code from dri.sf.net.  I feel like 3D accelleration is
working.  I installed tuxracer and it plays smooth.  I also installed
heretic2 and it also plays smooth using the libOSMesa gl driver.  The
output of glxinfo shows that DRI is enabled and glxgears works at
800+ FPS.

I don't know what other information you might be interested in or what
other testing I can do.  I tried the binary distribution of dri.sf.net
from 20020709 and it wouldn't work right.  It didn't detect the
properties of the LCD panel right and fell back to 640x480 plus messed
up the screen so that I had to toggle from external monitor to lcd.

Thanks for all the work!
--
 (__) Doug Alcorn - Unix/Linux/Web Developing
 oo / PGP 02B3 1E26 BCF2 9AAF 93F1  61D7 450C B264 3E63 D543